SIN BIN RULE FOR UNDER 20’S
A sin-bin rule will be trialled for the 2021 Winter season to the U20 competition.
- The trial will commence effective from round 1 of the 2021 Winter season.
- A “sin bin” policy will be implemented in all U20 games.
- Any player who refuses to abide by this policy will be asked to leave the stadium immediately.
- The interpretation of this rule will be as per Clause 16 of the Senior Domestic by-laws (extract included below).
If the trial is effective, the sin-bin rule will be adopted into the KBAJ by-laws for Summer 21/22.
“SIN BIN” POLICY APPENDIX (extract from the Senior Domestic Bylaws)
The rule will be implemented as follows:
- The rule is applicable to a player who displays poor conduct or sportsmanship that warrants a technical foul. This includes dissent, arguing with the referee, inappropriate language, pushing and shoving. A technical foul will be called and administered in the usual way. The difference is that the player will leave the court and may not return to the game for five minutes of playing time.
- The five minutes is a ‘fixed time’ during a playing period, regardless of whether a time out is called or not.
- The player may be substituted if a sub is available.
- The referee will note the time on the playing clock that the player leaves the court and instruct the scorer to write down the earliest time that the player may return to the court through a normal substitution.
- Player who leaves court with time on clock 12:35 may return at the nearest available substitution opportunity after the clock ticks through 7:35.
- Player who is sent to the sin bin at 3:20 in the first half may return after the clock ticks past 18:20 in the second half.
- Player who is “binned” with less than 5 minutes to go in the second half may not return to the game.
- On return to the playing court, if the player commits a similar indiscretion, a disqualifying foul will be applied with the normal penalty.
- Reportable offences are reported to the Tribunal in the usual manner.