St Christophers has had a special place on our community for more than 50 years. The Club is inclusive for players of all backgrounds and ability and focusses on helping players to “learn and grow” through the sport we love.
Secret to our Success
The secret behind our success is every person who volunteers their time and effort to help children learn and play basketball. For example;
- The people who coach and teach our children basketball… and teamwork… and respect for the game, officials, and competitors. While having fun! (Thanks, coaches!).
- The team managers who make sure everyone knows where they need to be and when!
- The volunteers who run the Club and make everything possible!
Want to Coach?
If you love the game, love helping kids, and want to help the game continue to grow then volunteer to coach a team!
The benefits of coaching:
- rewarding friendships with players and parents
- contribute to the player’s life-skills and character building
- share a sense of fun and achievement with your players
- help individuals become a cohesive team
- opportunity to learn new skills and techniques (and gain recognised coaching accreditation)
- get to spend more time with your child (if you are a parent or relative of a child in the team)
- opportunity to give back to the club and/or sport
If you are interested in becoming a coach or team manager, please contact the Coaching Coordinator or relevant coordinator (boys/girls). Contact – SCJBC (stchristophersjbc.com.au)
Want to be a Team Manager
Team manager responsibilities mainly involve:
- Sending weekly notifications regarding game time and venue
- Rostering parents to scoring
- Knowing if players will be absent and letting the coach know
- Seeking fill in players if the team is short or notifying the club if the team needs to forfeit (we try to avoid forfeits.
- Communicating any (unusual) last minute changes to the venue, cancellation of games or forfeits received.
The team manager is the also the intermediary between the club and the families in each team. This involves eventually collecting information regarding who will be returning for the following season and contacting the club with any queries or concerns.
If you are interested in being a team manager, chat to your child’s coach.
Become a Commitee Volunteer
Volunteer to help run the Club and make EVERYTHING possible.
- Keep the ethos and purpose of the Club alive.
- Recruit, equip and support coaches.
- Make sure our children (and all participants) are safe.
- Manage registration of players, coaches, and members.
- Welcome new families and children to the Club.
- Coordinate and organise 400+ boys and girls into teams.
- Organise venues to train in and make sure everyone has a uniform to wear.
- Manage Club finances.
- Represent the Club with the Association.
- Keep our players and parents informed and up to date.
We ask you to consider becoming a committee volunteer. After all, many hands make light work!
If you decide to join the committee, you will:
- Be supported and trained in whichever role you take on.
- Enhance your leadership, communication, financial and organisational skills.
- Work in partnership with some amazing people, who may well become friends for life.
- Help to make the Club better and stronger into the future.
- Gain the satisfaction of knowing that you are “making a difference” for hundreds of children!
You might even learn a thing or two about basketball.