St Christopher’s Junior Basketball Club Inc (“the club”) is an incorporated association registered in Victoria (number A0007762R), is a non-profit organisation and is managed by an elected committee.
The club plays in the junior domestic competition ran by the Keilor Basketball Association Junior (KBAJ) and participates in both the Summer and Winter seasons. The club has nearly 60 teams across all age divisions (Under 10’s to Under 19’s). Over 400 children are registered with the club, the club is both strong and viable and is focussed on participation, development, team and success.
- St Christopher’s Junior Basketball Club was formed in the early 1970’s by the parish. The club is a separate entity from the school and parish but we work in close partnership with the school
- We play in the junior domestic competition ran by the Keilor Basketball Association (KBA)
- In the 2019/2020 Summer season we fielded 58 teams across all age divisions, starting from Under 10’s through to and including Under 10’s with 30 boy teams and 19 girl teams. We had over 400 children registered with the club
- The club has enjoyed many successes over the years, we are well represented in finals with many teams qualifying across all age levels
- We are a strong and viable club focussed on participation, development, team and success
Our club is committed to the development of basketball and we understand that our junior players are critical to our future. The club runs junior clinics at various times.
The club provides annual awards (trophies) at the end of the Winter season. This is an opportunity for teams to celebrate their successes.
Relationship with St Christopher’s Catholic Primary School
The club have a strong relationship and work in close partnership with St Christopher’s Catholic Primary School (“the school”) and St Christopher’s Catholic Parish (“the parish”). This connection dates all the way back to 1970 when the parish formed the club. The club is not affiliated with the school or parish but the close links have continued with the club’s home base being situated at the school hall.
Summer and Winter Seasons
The Keilor competition currently runs from October to March for the summer seasons with an extended break over the Christmas period and April to September for the winter season.
The summer season is aligned with Term 4 and Term 1 of the school calendar. The winter season is aligned with Term 2 & 3 of the school calendar.
The club has developed relationships with several local schools for training.
As with most domestic basketball clubs, volunteers make the club work and it can only be as good as the volunteers make it. Our club relies heavily on volunteers to ensure that the 400+ junior players take the court each week.
Our basketball club is run, operated, managed, coached and almost anything else you can imagine by volunteers. Volunteers are invaluable resources that help to ensure the success of the club and the best experience for all involved in the club.
We pride ourselves on being a very friendly, welcoming, family orientated club.